Lee's 'Better Communication Results' blog

A blog to help YOU communicate better for better business results!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Coffee with my trolley

I had originally planned to set up a separate blog with non-communication ideas that occur to me at all hours of the day and night.

One of the ideas was for a shopping trolley that comes with a coffee cup holder.

Then I realised that it's hard enough running this blog; two blogs would be a nightmare. So I was mulling over whether to post or not, seeing as how the idea has nothing to do with business communication, other than perhaps an example of how a supermarket could communicate its concern and care for grumpy old men like me.

Then I read of a new breed of shopping trolley about to be launched in Australia. Reading the text, though, only did two things:
  1. It reminded me that this invention had already been launched in England many years ago
  2. There was still no coffee holder.

As the last line of my original un-post says, over to you enterprising designers...

Shopping trolleys need a cup holder.

My wife is always having a quiet joke at my expense, seeing as how my aging Mitsubishi Verada doesn't have a cup holder but her Subaru WRX Impreza does.

But when we were out foraging in our weekly Saturday morning shopping expedition recently I was struck by how difficult it is to manage a trolley with over-steer and bad wheel alignment while holding a large takeaway cappuccino in one's hand.

Looking around, I noticed similar couples equally challenged by the desire to push a heavy trolley with one hand and hold onto a cup of their beverage of choice with the other.

So I thought, there's a useful add-on that can be fashioned by some enterprising designer -- they can sell the idea to the retailer as a useful customer service.

After congratulating myself on such a mental leap, I then realised that an even better add-on would incorporate both a cup holder AND a magazine/newspaper tray, so that one can read one's magazine AND keep one's cup safe.

Over to you, enterprising designers...