Lee's 'Better Communication Results' blog

A blog to help YOU communicate better for better business results!

Friday, July 15, 2005

Blog versus website - usability issue

Following on from the 'Net Rage' report by Catalyst that is definately shaking up a few heads within our community, I am going to take the break to think about how I can improve the usability of this blog for non-blog-savvy guests.

I've already added a 'What is RSS' button courtesy of Alexandra Samuel, and I've added the word 'blog' to my tag on the masthead, but there is no doubt much more I can do to make it easier for the first-time visitor and blog-newbie to navigate around the site.

Blog terminology is a very 'in-group/out-group' thing; I have only recently installed trackback facilities on my blog and still don't know how to use them properly (and thanks to Andy for further help with this). It took me a long time to get to grips with the vastly different mindsets needed for blogs and websites.

Update: link to net rage report and Alexandra's rss buttons updated; thanks to Graham for pointing out my links were screwy