Lee's 'Better Communication Results' blog

A blog to help YOU communicate better for better business results!

Friday, June 03, 2005

Communication Strategy - the results of my presentation

Well, it was an interesting meeting!

Whilst generally it can be held to be positive, there were learnings that came from it, so I thought it a good idea to share them with my communication colleagues.

Outcomes

1. The MD feels that her organisation is too small to benefit from the blogging or podcasting initiatives I recommended. However, the greater Group may indeed benefit from blogging (podcasting is still too unknown).

2. A very tight budget focus due to current business trends means that any initiatives have to be very carefully considered, via a Cost:Benefit Analysis.

3. The MD will be able to read my full Plan proposal on Monday, apparently, when she may read more of the 'smaller' ideas I had on how to improve their communication (such as font usage). This may help in the 'educative' component of my proposal -- as I knew from the outset, any radical departure from the 'status quo' of internal communication will require an educative component. My sponsor now 'gets it' with regard to blogging and (I hope) podcasting -- hopefully my Plan proposal will help the MD 'get it' too.

Learnings

1. There is a need to find out as much as possible about the final decision-maker and their thinking. The MD is currently very cost conscious, due to industry trends, and I had no way of finding that out before the presentation (I worked with the project sponsor, not the MD on this plan).

2. Be prepared to have your views swept aside/negated/adjusted by business and environment issues you knew nothing about.

3. Concentrate on presenting and delivering small, easy wins first (to build your credibility) before suggesting bigger goals.

4. Be aware of your credibility/posture before you start -- how credible you are determines how far you can push your client/how radical a proposal you can make.


Upshot:

Although there were not a lot of 'wins' I could hang my hat on coming out of the meeting, the client has engaged me to further some of the smaller communications issues I did address. That is a good sign.

Plus, the greater Group is also looking at how they communicate and my proposal and support material, plus ideas, have found their way to one of the Group's Comms professionals, who has shown some interest. So whilst my immediate client may not take up the suggestions at this stage, they are certainly not stopping me from influencing the greater corporate body where I can.

And they are still paying me, which is a delight.