Lee's 'Better Communication Results' blog

A blog to help YOU communicate better for better business results!

Monday, May 09, 2005

Quasi blogs

One of the many things I'm really excited about is the possibility of having my client's intranet have some sort of 'soft' blogging capability -- thus, have normal flat html pages for individual, key contributors then allowing them to use Macromedia Contribute to update/add to their own pages.

But I don't know how to tag those pages with rss-friendly data so that if I put feedreaders on each desktop Mary in customer service can see when Joe in Claims has updated his page. The only way I can see that happening is if we use 'proper' blogging software installed on our system, such as Moveable Type, but I don't know if I can swing that, nor if I can get the larger group's IT to allow my client (a smaller company within the group) to install it on their own dedicated intranet web server, which my client would have to purchase.

So I am looking at using flat pages as a quasi blog to get management used to the idea of employee blogging; once they are happy and see the value, then I am more likely to be able to successfully sell them on forking out for 'proper' blogging tools.