Lee's 'Better Communication Results' blog

A blog to help YOU communicate better for better business results!

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My college library is online but not online

Grrr.....

The library for the college I attend on a part-time basis (I'm reading for an MA) is online, so I can reserve and renew books from the comfort of my home, since I'm only there one morning a week.

But I had some overdue items. So they sent me a letter. By post.

Yet to access my postal details they would have had to access my personal details, wherein they would have found my email address.

I was down at the library this morning, dropping off some books and sniffing for others, so asked the librarian if they could email me any overdue notices, as I spend the majority of my life online.

"Oh no, we can't do that" I was cheerfully informed.
"Why not?"
"Because we can't" came the smiling reply.

There was no use engaging in a prolonged exchange with this person, so I'll write to the Head Librarian personally (and I note that previous emails to the library, from the college website, have gone unanswered). In writing. By post.

The college goes to the trouble of having its borrowing facilities online, but they don't have anyone reading their email account, nor do they use it to communicate with borrowers (which would save them printing and postage costs, natch).

One gasps at their lack of ability to 'play the game' and get into the 21st century...